Pygmy hedgehogs are petite and cute creatures gaining popularity as a pet in the USA. They make your great companion because of their quiet, active, and entertaining nature. However, these delicate pets need proper care, effort, and a safe environment to spend happy and healthy time with you. A great pygmy hedgehog setup is extremely important as they need a place where they can thrive and above all feel safe and be safe.
The best pygmy hedgehog setup offers the essential items needed to look after and maintain a safe environment for your hedgehog. In this article, we will explore more about the perfect pygmy hedgehog setup. Let’s look in detail at the essential items (including their housing, bedding, heating, and many more) a pygmy hedgie needs in their home environment.
|Click to Edit||Image||Title||Brand||Price||Prime||Buy|
|1||REPTI ZOO 10 Gallon Reptile Tank Glass Natural Cages Terrarium 20" x 12" x 10" Sliding Screen Top for Reptile Hamster Hedgehog Small Animals||REPTI ZOO||PrimeEligible||Buy Now|
|2||OMAYKEY 100W 2 Pack Ceramic Heat Lamp with 1-pcs Digital-Thermometer, Infrared Reptile Heat Emitter Heater Lamp Bulbs for Pet Brooder Coop Chicken Lizard Snake Aquarium, No Light No Harm (ETL Listed)||OMAYKEY||PrimeEligible||Buy Now|
|3||REPTI ZOO Reptile Clip Clamp Lamp Fixture 360-degree Reptile Light Fixture Rotating Adjustable Lamp Holde Fixture for Habitat Lighting & Heat Lamp||REPTI ZOO||PrimeEligible||Buy Now|
|4||Vipe Heater Guard, Reptile Heating Lamp Shade Light Heat Lamp Mesh Cover||Vipe||PrimeEligible||Buy Now|
|5||Pet Heating Pad by Snuggle Safe, Pet Microwaveable Heat Pad, Safe Pet Bed Warmer||Snuggle Safe||PrimeEligible||Buy Now|
|6||Inkbird WiFi ITC-308 Digital Temperature Controller Thermostat Remote Monitoring Controlling Home Brewing Fermentation Breeding Incubation Greenhouse||Inkbird||PrimeEligible||Buy Now|
|7||TRIXIE Plastic My Sweet Home Rabbit Cage House 61343||TRIXIE||Prime||Buy Now|
|8||Kaytee Comfort Wheel Giant 12 Inches||Kaytee||PrimeEligible||Buy Now|
|9||Ethical 3-Inch Stoneware Small Animal Dish||Ethical||PrimeEligible||Buy Now|
|10||Kaytee Hi-Corner Litter Pan (Assorted Colors)||Kaytee||PrimeEligible||Buy Now|
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.Prices pulled from the Amazon Product Advertising API on:
What Are the Best Pygmy Hedgehog Cages or Enclosures?
Your hedgehog spends most of its time in the cage which is ultimately its home. Therefore, a suitable cage or enclosure is extremely vital for its well-being. They need as large a home as possible to roam around freely. The recommended minimum size for an adult hedgehog’s cage is 4 ft x 2 ft (120cm x 60cm). Though bigger is always better. Moreover, they are great at escaping, so the home should be very secure.
Various enclosures can be used for pygmy hedgehog housing. Probably the large plastic cages (Zoo Zone 2 enclosure) and vivariums are the best options to make good homes for your pet. The only difference between the two is heating options. You can’t use a heat lamp (Ceramic Heat Emitter) in the plastic cage as it will melt the plastic and has a fire risk, so go for a heat mat instead.
Ideally, you should opt for one level pygmy hedgehog’s home. However, if you want to provide a multilevel house to your hedgie, make sure it has shallow and flat steps such as slides. So that, your hedgehog doesn’t fall off and hurt itself. Here is the link to Vivarium, we recommend:
1. REPTI ZOO 10 Gallon Reptile Natural Cages Terrarium for Reptile Hedgehog Small Animals
- 360 degree view of the terrarrium landscape;
- Full screen top with a feeding hole,which is for ventilation and allows light and UVB penetration;
- Lift and Pull for opening and closing the sliding screen top;
- With a transparent PVC tray for holding water and substrate;
- Easy to install within 2 minutes, suitable for reptile pets, small animails such as hamster hedgehog etc
- The 360-degree design offers the best viewing for your animal
- Convenient “lift and pull” sliding screen top with a specially designed feeding hole
- Waterproof and transparent PVC tray at the bottom
- Maintains correct heat gradient more safely
Where Should I put my pet pygmy hedgehog’s cage?
It is important to know the safest location for cage placement in your house. If you don’t place it in the right place, it can lead to many health issues.
Pygmy hedgehog pets feel the most comfortable at around 22.2ºC to 26.6ºC. Anything cooler can cause hibernation and serious health problems. Conversely, anything warmer leads to anxiety and heat stress.
with that said, you should place the cage away from the following:
- Direct sunlight
- Air conditioners
Moreover, hedgehog has sensitive hearing and loud noise can make them anxious, afraid, and stressed. So, avoid placing its cage in loud areas such as:
- Above/Below TV or stereo
- Kids playing
- Any loud noises
Finally, a hedgehog home should experience daylight as it is important for its health.
What To Put in A Pygmy Hedgehog Cage/House?
After selecting the right home and place for your new spiky pet, it’s time to discover items to put in a hedgehog enclosure.
Your pygmy hedgehog setup should consist of the following items:
- A heat lamp or heat mat
- Heat lamp holder
- Bulb guard
- Bedding or substrate
- Nest box or hide
- Exercise wheel
- Food and water bowl
- Litter tray
African Pygmy Hedgehog Heating
Hedgehogs originate from a warmer climate and need a reliable heat source in colder months. They can hibernate if they get too cold. Cold temperatures are also fatal for African pygmy hedgehog lifespan.
What temperature do pygmy hedgehogs need?
It is crucial to maintain a temperature between 21°C to 25°C inside the hedgehog’s enclosure. The temperature should not rise above 28 °C (82.4°F) and drop below 18°C (64.4°F).
Cold temperatures cause them to hibernate which can trigger severe health issues including infection, dehydration, organ failure, and even death.
Do hedgehogs need a heat lamp?
As you know, pygmy hedgehogs are sensitive to cold. A heat lamp or a CHE (Ceramic heat emitter) is an effective way to keep your pet’s house warm. However, you should not use it with a plastic cage as it will melt it and end up catching fire.
Moreover, consider a heat emitter that provides only heat and should not provide any light. Here is the link to the one we recommend:
2. OMAYKEY 100W Ceramic Heat Lamp with 1-pcs Digital-Thermometer
- ✔ This 100W black infrared heat lamp is made of solid ceramics element,
- ✔ This ceramic heat lamp is simple and easy to install,
- ✔ This heat lamp bulb is ETL Listed,
- ✔ This ceramic heat emitter bulb is 24hr heat source,
- ✔ This bulb‘s surface temperature is very high when workin
- Offers perfect heat radiations
- No light emitted
- 24hours heats source with 100% efficiency
- 5 out of 5-star Amazon rating (2800+ reviews!)
Note: You also need a lamp holder and a guard along with a heat lamp to ensure the safety of your pygmy hedgie.
Heat Lamp Holder
You need a lamp holder to firmly hold the lamp in place. Otherwise, the lamp may fall and cause serious injury to your hedgehog. It should be suitable for the wattage of your lamp. Check our recommendation below:Buy on Amazon
3. REPTI ZOO Reptile Clip Clamp Lamp Fixture 360
- 360-degree rotation lamp head design
- Easy to use:the base of the holder is a clamp
- Built with metals and advanced processes,vents design to prevent overheating
- Wire and control switch ensure high security with ETL certificate
- Fully adjustable 360 degrees rotation
- Conveniently clamped and hung
- Ensure high security
Heat Bulb Guard
A heat lamp guard is vital to secure your surrounding and pet from burns. Generally, the heat lamp is mounted on the top of the cage or can be suspended from the cage ceiling. A guard placed around the heat lamp minimizes the risk of injury and accidents. Here is our recommendation:Buy on Amazon
4. Vipe Heater Guard
- Mesh lampshade made from high-grade stainless steel, strong enough to guarantee years of usage
- With coil spring design, easy for installation, just clip and go
- Can be used to hold light bulbs which height is below 16cm/ 6.30
- Suitable for all kinds reptile lamps, such as heating lamp, ceramic light bulb, basking light, etc
- Easy installation, just clip and go
- Protect your pet from high-temperature lamp surface
Is the heating mat safe for hedgehogs?
If your pet is living in a plastic cage, a heat lamp would be a fire risk. Therefore, use a heat mat or a heating pad to provide a snug place for your hedgehog. We recommend using a Snuggle Safe heating pad for instant and long-lasting warmth.Buy on Amazon
5. Pet Heating Pad by Snuggle Safe
- PERFECT FOR TRAVEL AND COMES WITH FLEECE COVER
- ORIGINAL, DURABLE, AND SAFE
- MADE FOR THE COMFORT AND SAFETY OF YOUR PETS
- MICROWAVEABLE AND HEATS UP QUICKLY
- SGS/ SMITHERS RAPRA TES
- Lightweight and compact design
- Provide instant, long-lasting, safe, and soothing warmth
- Toxic-free, wireless, and bite resistant
How to set up a temperature for your pygmy hedgehog pet?
Pygmy hedgehogs need constant temperature all the time. Therefore, you need a thermometer and thermostat in a pygmy hedgehog Setup to maintain the constant temperature inside its enclosure.
A thermometer should be placed inside the cage (but out of the reach of your pet) to monitor the temperature and make sure it remains constant.
A thermostat helps to automatically control and regulate the temperature inside your hedgehog’s house. It releases enough energy to effectively maintain the required heat level. Here is the link to one we recommend:
6. Inkbird Digital Temperature Controller Thermostat
- 👍👍【Android & IOS WIFI App】WIFI APP - WIFI smart controller supports both IOS & Android.
- 👍👍【Dual Relay Output】Dual relay - able to power refrigeration and heating equipment as conditions change.
- 👍👍【High/Low Temperature Alarm】 Set High/Low temperature alarm when the temperature is over or under preset temperature or the sensor experiences a malfunction.
- 👍👍【Convenient Design】Plug-n-play, easy to use. Supports ℃/℉reading and Temperature calibration.
- 👍👍【1100W Max Outpout】Maximum output load: 1100W(110V).【Safety】Maximum output load: 1100W(110V
- Control temperature remotely using Wi-Fi technology
- Plug-n-play, easy to use design
- High/low-temperature alarms
What is the best bedding for my hedgehog enclosure?
Bedding is also an important part of the pygmy hedgehog setup. Your hedgehog feels secure when sleeping on suitable bedding. Always buy dust-free or low dust bedding and foraging substrate from a trusted brand for your hedgehog. Moreover, ensure that the bedding is mite-free before giving it to your spiky pet.
Best bedding options for your hedgehog includes:
- Cardboard pellets and shredded paper
- Natural products like Cell Sorb Plus
- Recycled paper or pelleted newspaper
- Fluffy bedding made of pulp
- Kitchen paper or a fleece liner
- Fabric pieces (especially made from fleece or Vellux)
Best foraging substrate for your pet
Best foraging substrate options are the same as you would use for their bedding. The best options are cardboard pellets and shredded paper (should be dust-free).
Toxic bedding and substrate for pygmy hedgehogs
Pygmy hedgehogs have sensitive skin and dust can irritate their skin and eyes. Moreover, some wood can be toxic for hedgehogs.
You should avoid the following types of bedding/substrate as they can cause irritation, infections, injury, liver problems, and other health issues:
- Cedar shaving or chips bedding
- Hay or straw type
- Wood shavings
- Corn cob shavings
- Pine shavings
- Towels as bedding
- Any fabric with small loops and holes
African Pygmy hedgehog playpens
A playpen provides a source of extra enrichment to your hedgehog. You can move it to a playpen while cleaning her cage.
You can put floor coverings, a hide, and some toys and whatever your hedgie like in the playpen. A hedgehog will probably poop and pee a lot, so floor covering protect the carpet. However, covering should be changed regularly.
As we mentioned earlier, hedgehogs are good at escaping and if there is a way out, they will be likely to find it. So, make sure that they can’t escape by lifting metal wire with their nose or by squeezing through it (hedgies can do this!).
Hedgehog hides and igloos
Your hedgehog needs a few comfortable places to hide in, feel safe and secure, and sleep during the day. These places provide them with time to relax and chill out. They can become upset and stop eating if don’t have access to these places.
You can use a small box, PVC tubes, or ceramic flower pots to make some hideaways for them. However, it should be non-toxic and your hedgie can easily get in and out. Moreover, you can provide hiding bags made from Vellux for enjoyment. Additionally, you can buy wooden nest boxes, igloos, and artificial logs. Here is the link to one we recommend:
7. TRIXIE Plastic My Sweet Home
- It is important to have a safe retreat for resting and hiding
- Made of plastic material
- Ideal for rabbits
- Increasing the fun and improving the living environment
- For outdoor and indoor use
- Safe retreat for resting and hiding
- Improve the living environment and provide extra fun
- Offers pleasant sleep and privacy to your pet
Buy on Amazon
What are good toys for an African pygmy hedgehog pet?
Hedgehogs love to explore so giving them toys, tunnels, hideaways, and tubes will keep your little friend happy and busy. Toys can not only enhance happiness and entertainment for your pet’s daily routine. But also, a great way to help with their mental and physical health. Toys keep their mind active and make a big difference in their lives.
You don’t need to spend a lot of money to keep them entertained. The following is a list of toys that are suitable for your African pygmy hedgehogs:
- Ping pong balls, small rubber balls
- Toilet roll or a kitchen paper roll (It’s recommended to cut the roll so your hedgehog does not get its head stuck in it)
- Tubes, PVC pipe, tunnels, ramps, ledges, etc.
- Most toys for young children (good choice for hedgehogs) and even toy cars (hedgies like to push them around).
- Solid plastic toys and chew toys
Make sure that all toys are safe, with no cracks and detachable parts before placing them in your pygmy hedgehog’s enclosure.
You should avoid the following:
- Toys with loose and small parts
- Toys with sharp edges or anything else that can cause injury
- cheap toys having paints or other coated surfaces (might be toxic!).
Remember that, never overcrowd the cage’s floor with too many accessories and toys as they need enough room to move around.
What is the best exercise wheel for hedgehogs?
African pygmy hedgehogs get plenty of exercise in the wild, they run between 3 to 5 miles daily. Therefore, a large exercise wheel (preferably around 30xm or 12 inches in size) is an essential part of the pygmy hedgehog setup for your spiky pet to get active. Otherwise, your hedgie becomes obese or even depressed. An exercise wheel is vital for their happiness and health and allows it to run to its heart’s content.
The following recommendation helps you for picking the right exercise wheel for your hedgehog:
- It should be made of solid material (wood or plastic) with a solid bottom and without any wires and mesh.
- Avoid exercise wheel made from wire or mesh type as your hedgie can get stuck or catch his feet and hurt itself.
- Avoid wheels with frame supports on either side as your little friend could get stuck in the frame.
- It should be wide enough for your hedgehog to run comfortably (may slip off otherwise).
- It is not mandatory but try to get a see-through wheel for an improved experience.
If you are a DIY expert, you can make your wheel using a bucket. We recommend using Kaytee Comfort Wheel to prevent them from obesity, maintain their body condition, and provide them social enrichment.
8. Kaytee Comfort Wheel Giant 12 Inches
- Can be free standing or attached to wire cage
- For pet rats, chinchillas, and hedgehogs
- Encourages healthy exercise
- 12 Diameter
- Colors vary
- TIP: To keep your Comfort Wheel running quiet, place a few drops of vegetable oil on the wheel hub where the wheel spins.
- A “Tail-safe” design encourages healthy exercise
- Two-way attachment clip (either free-standing or clipped to a wire cage)
- Safe and solid running surface
- Available in variant colors and sizes
- 3 out of 5-star Amazon rating (more than 2100 reviews!)
Food and Water Bowl
Food and water bowls are of utmost importance in a pygmy hedgehog setup. Make sure your pet is fed regularly and has easy access to water and food to fulfill African pygmy hedgehog diet needs.
with that said, consider the following characteristics while buying water and food bowl:
- The bowl should be made of heavy material to prevent spilling
- It should not be too deep as it can be a hazard to your pet
- The bowl must be free from dangerous toxins and heavy metals
- Finally, it is recommended to use two food bowls in the pygmy hedgehog setup (one for dry food and the other for moist food)
Here is the link to the one we recommend:
9. Ethical 3-Inch Stoneware Small Animal Dish
- Stoneware animal dish
- can be used for cats, small dogs or small animals
- Easy to clean
- High gloss finish
- The heavyweight design prevents movement and spillage
- High gloss finish
- Can’t be chewed
- Work great for both food and water
A litter tray or pan in a pygmy hedgehog setup is especially vital if you want to minimize the bad smell. You should teach your hedgehog the use of a litter pan. Be patient, they might take some time to learn this behavior, or they might not use it at all. Unfortunately, only a few hedgehogs learn to use the litter tray but it’s worth a try.
Consider the following factors while buying a litter pan
- It is suggested to get a corner shaped litter tray
- It should have a low front (it prevent any tripping)
Hedgehog poop and pee a lot when they are using their exercise wheel. It is a great idea to put the exercise wheel in your litter tray. We recommend using:Buy on Amazon
10. Kaytee Hi-Corner Litter Pan
- Potty training made easy
- Designed to prevent messes
- Attaches directly to any wire cage
- 10 long 13 75 wide 6 5 high
- For ferrets and other small animals
- Design to prevent messes
- built-in hooks make cage attachment easy
- Stain and odor resistant and easy-to-clean
Q: Can hedgehogs get too hot?
Yes!! they can get too hot, and this is a bit like heat strokes in humans. This is known as aestivation where the hedgehogs lie on their belly with their legs out and need to be cooled down.
Q: Why my hedgehog not using the wheel?
This happened because of several reasons:
- They don’t like the size, tilt, or style of the wheel, they do not use their wheel.
- If you are in the room, they can be put off.
- The room is not dark enough, it can stop them from running on it.
- Any light at all even the faintest light put them off.
Q: When do you clean out a hedgehog house?
Pygmy hedgehogs are not smelly animals but proper cleaning of the cage is essential for pygmy hedgehog care and health and to avoid bad smells. It is recommended to thoroughly clean the pygmy hedgehog setup (its house, toys, wheel, bedding, etc.) once a week and do spot clean more regularly or every day.
Q: Can hedgehogs see infrared lights?
Yes!! hedgehogs can see infrared lights and this light can put them off from coming out at night.
Q: Can two Pygmy hedgehogs live together?
A qualified NO!!! African pygmies are solitary animals, and they don’t prefer the company of others. They like their own company. So never try to keep them together as this can lead to fights.
Q: Do pygmy hedgehogs need lightening?
Yes, they do!! Pygmy hedgehog or four-toed hedgehog is the smallest species of hedgehog and related to the Algerian hedgehog (know more about: The Background and Lifestyle of Hedgehogs as Pets). If they don’t receive enough light, they will attempt to hibernate.
You don’t need to invest in something fancy to meet this need. Natural daylight is enough for pygmies. The ideal amount of lighting for your spiky friend is 12 hours of light during daytime and 12 hours of dark nighttime.
A hedgehog spends most of its time in its home. It is important to do a proper pygmy hedgehog cage set up so your spiky friend feels secure and happy. We hope this guide helps you to select all essential items for your tiny friend that provide it with enrichment and limit their chances of going obese.